Game One Recap

We played our first game last night, and even though we didn’t win, I thought it went pretty well.  For a team that hadn’t practiced together ever, this was quite the learning experience for my teammates and I.What was my line, you’re asking?  I managed one hit in two at-bats and that was it.  It was a sharply hit leadoff single between 2B and 3B, with both defensive players diving for it and not getting to it.  I didn’t care.  I was mad scrambling to get to first base like someone had fielded it cleanly and was going to make that throw.  I move pretty fast in my cleats for a guy my size.  I made it to second on the next at-bat, which was a BB issued to my boss.  I was thrown out at third on the next play, a squibbler that barely made it to short, but I was the easy play so I made it back to the dugout.

I batted third in the lineup, which was a nice change from my previous position in the lineup last season (7th).  I usually like to bat cleanup, but given the wind conditions and the fact that I wasn’t making the most solid contact I could, I had to make do with what I had.  My first at-bat was a clumsily-hit ball to second base, and they made a double-play off of me and the batter ahead of me.

On defense, I was catching, and I had to handle two different pitchers.  Both of whom didn’t have much in the way of experience, but I settled them down the way a good catcher should.  Eventually, they started putting the ball over the plate, and of course, the batters were killing it.  Also, I mentioned the wind earlier.  At Twin Creeks, the fields all kind of face the south end of the bay, so we catch that bay breeze pretty good.  But the wind was carrying the ball southerly, and since the batters were facing northeast, a shot to center would invariably land in right field.  So, our defense was kind of running around trying to get to the ball, not realizing that it was for naught, while the right fielder was being pelted by these pop flies wandering into their zone.

I had to position myself behind the plate in such a way that it would make the most sense.  The wind would turn every pitch into an involuntary curveball that would get pushed to the outside half of the plate.

All in all, it was fun, and I’m looking forward to next week.  My legs are SORE.  Holy crap.

Also, I had to buy my own uniform tonight.  I’d post a picture of the proof, but I can’t release the image until after next week because the logo is a surprise for the team.  I don’t want to take the chance that someone will see it prematurely and ruin the surprise.

Related posts

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

%d bloggers like this: