Today’s Holidailies prompt is: “Things I once thought I’d do that I now know I’ll never ever do.”
- Shortly after my first marriage fell apart, I thought I would never get married. I’m married to my second wife, Julia, right now.
- I thought I would have kids. That will never happen; by choice, not by circumstance.
- I thought, as a child, that I would become a bus driver. This, my parents are thankful, has not (yet) come to pass. Nor will I ever hope to become a bus driver.
- I thought I would join the United States Navy. This will not happen, because I’m too large. I’m definitely 4-F, for sure.
- I thought I would die before I hit the age of thirty. I’m thirty-one, now… so that’s definitely not going to happen. I must be on borrowed time.
- As a child, I thought I would fly a fighter jet. I’m pretty sure i have to fit in the cockpit, first.
- I thought I would sail around the world. Again, I don’t want to sink the boat by looking at it.
- In college, I thought I would live in Japan. I’m pretty sure that’s not happening, but this one might happen someday.
- In high school, I thought I would play professional baseball. Well, the Giants might sign me for third base.
- I thought I would not have any regrets. The truth is… I don’t.
Now playing on iTunes: Frank Sinatra – My Way
1. My username is _____ because ____.
2. My journal is titled ____ because ____.
3. My subtitle is ____ because ____.
4. My friends page is called ____ because ____.
5. My default userpic is ____ because ____.
I chose because it’s actually my username for a couple of hosts I run, and it was available on the list of recently purged usernames.
My journal is titled “The Oval Office” because I am using a West Wing theme.
My subtitle is “The West Wing” because duh.
My friends page is called “Press Briefing Room” in keeping with the motif.
And finally, my default userpic is President Bartlet with the words ‘What’s Next?’ because that’s like the best phrase to motivate a conversation to move to the next topic. It reminds me that life isn’t and shouldn’t be all about dwelling on stuff for too long and in order to keep going, you gotta keep moving.
1.) Where did you ring in 2006?
At ‘s dad’s apartment.
2.) What was your status by Valentine’s Day?
Employed and Engaged.
3.) Were you in school (anytime this year)?
4.) How did you earn your keep?
I was the only operations engineer at a podunk communications firm that couldn’t figure out what they wanted from me. I got laid off from that job in April. Now, I’m working on a SOC team for Shopping.com.
5.) Did you have to go to the hospital?
6.) Did you encounter the police?
Got pulled over and talked my way out of a ticket once this year.
7.) Where did you go on vacation?
Pac Bell Park for one night.
8.) What did you purchase that was over $500?
My new laptop, ‘s laptop, and video iPods for the both of us.
9.) Did you know anybody who got married?
Yeah. My wife. She got married to me. Also: & . My cousin on my dad’s side.
10.) Do you know anybody who passed away?
11.) Have you run into anybody you graduated high school with?
Everytime I go downstairs.
12.) Did you move anywhere?
I moved back into my old apartment in San Jose.
13.) What sporting events did you go to?
Baseball games at Pac Bell Park.
14.) What concerts did you go to?
Battle of the Bands at Ani-Magic 2006.
15.) Are you registered to vote?
16.) If so, did you do your patriotic duty on Nov. 7?
Yes. D is for Victory.
17.) Where do you live now?
San Jose, CA.
18.) Describe your birthday.
Very little fanfare. Everyone online forgot it until I mentioned it. I got like maybe one call from my mom.
19.) What’s the one thing you thought you would never do but did in 2006?
Get married again.
20.) What is one thing you regretted this year?
I regret nothing. I live as few ever dare.
21.) What’s something you learned about yourself?
That I’m corny.
22.) Any new additions to your family?
My sister, Anna, had a baby.
23.) What was your best month?
December. Because I got to buy people presents again 🙂
24.) What from pop culture will you remember 2006 by?
Several: Leo died. Santos won. Danny loves Jordan. Jim kissed Pam. Karen smiled. Andy sung. Dwight lied.
25.) How would you rate this year with a scale from 1 (shitty) to 10 (excellent)?
9. I got a wife, I got a job, I got my show, I got my writing. The only thing that would make it a 10 is if I was debt-free and insanely rich.
1. If you could, would you be a movie star or a rock star? Which one, and why?
I think I would probably be a rock star, because I prefer music to drama. 🙂
2. Have you ever been in the media (TV, radio, papers)?
Yes. I was and currently am on the radio and in the newspaper.
3. Do you know anyone who’s been on a reality TV show?
How about a TV show? My second cousin on my mom’s side, Brandon Call, played J. T. on Step by Step with Patrick Duffy and Suzanne Somers. I met him once at a wedding in Southern California. I don’t keep in touch with him at all. My dad’s adamant about that fact that I’m related to Chris Garcia (first cousin), who one shared a scene with Beau Bridges in Seven Hours to Judgement… I’m not sure about that, though.
4. Have you ever met anyone famous?
William Shatner, Leonard Nimoy, Nichelle Nichols, Jimmy Doohan, George Takei, John DeLancie, Brent Spiner, Jonathan Frakes, Michael Dorn, Denise Crosby, Marina Sirtis, Patrick Stewart, Wil Wheaton, Armin Shimmerman, Rene Auberjonois, and Majel Barrett(-Roddenberry). I also met J. Michael Strazcynski once while working a Trek convention in 1994. I also shook hands with Will Clark and Robby Thompson once when I was on the field at Candlestick Park. And Brent Jones when he visited my high school in 1993. I also used to take Tae Kwon Do lessons from Michael Montoya, who was a belt champion in the kickboxing circuit, and during my Tae Kwon Do years I met Ernie Reyes, Jr a few times, because his dad owned the studio that was affiliated with the one I went to.
5. Who would play you in a movie?
I have no idea. I’m not sure I would ever be comfortable with anyone playing me. 😉